Thursday 23 August 2007

Age concern

All is noisy in the big brother house, in fact the word 'noisy' does not do justice to the level of sound in my house at the moment. Nothing to report, sun still is not shining and the days are just slipping away until the children go back to school, shame. I tell you, modern technology just leaves me in wonder. I am the designated travel agent at the moment and I have just learnt that you can 'check in' online, my god.

Whilst trying desperately to slip back into a state of sleep after feeding the baby at some ungodly hour my thoughts turned to me getting old. I know that I am ONLY 32, but I desperately tried to work out what year it would be when I would be 80. I remember when I was at senior school and back in the day when it was just 1st, 2nd third year and not year 7, year 8 and so on, there was a lot of discussion about space stations. It must have been big business because we were all asked to decide what profession we would have aboard this huge space station. Apparently the government would be asking a select few to drop everything and live forever in space and I could think of a few people I wouldn't mind sending in to space. The best job at the time I could come up with was a hairdresser, what high expectations I had of myself back then, (absolutely no offence meant to hairdressers at all, and you certainly have your work cut out on my mop). It just goes to show that although technology does move very quickly we are still no nearer to creating a space station. The year will be 2057 (I think) and I wonder how much further advanced we will be then. Its funny just how much dreams and night time thinking does affect you. I think that because you are in a kind of state of unconsciousness you are much more susceptible and dreams do feel so real. Anyway me ageing is obviously firmly in my mind and it still is. I know that I am still 32 years young but there are still things that you can only do when you are younger and not suffering from hangovers is one of them. As well as eating house loads of food and it having absolutely no physical affect on you. Whilst I am reminiscing I would also be able to join the RAF, qualify as a firm possibility as the new Dr Who's sidekick and wear very short shorts because I would have the legs and the age to pull it off. Anyway I just have to think that Angelina Jolie is 32, looks fantastic and is doing all of her own stunts in her latest film and what is good enough for her is good enough for me. Where's Brad Pitt when you need him.

Today's medical fact; Before their first birthday, average babies will have dribbled 255 pints of saliva. By the time they're two years old, they will have crawled 93 miles.

8 comments:

The World According To Me said...

255 pints and 93 miles?! I didn't realise babies were so busy dribbling and crawling!

As you know, I have this little habit of quoting how old I will be next year. As in, I'm still 33, but next year I will be 35! Oh my!
However, I have never worked out what the year will be when I turn 80. You win the age concern (wrinkly, liver spotted) hands down!

patience of a saint said...

Me and you will still be laughing about the yellow bag and big guy when we are sat next to each other in our wheelchairs, of that I am sure.

The World According To Me said...

Hey Big Guy, where we're going, we don't need no roads!

Anonymous said...

Don't I'm gutted that I'm now too old to go on channel 4's shipwrecked... And haven't got long before my fertility plummets blah blah blah, still what I lack for in youth I make up for in wisdom - hahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahaaha xxx

patience of a saint said...

Very clever anonymous. I may have to borrow that little saying x x x

Katherine said...

That's a lot of drool!

And aging has never been my issue. I have never not gotten a hangover from drinking too much (and drinking too much was never all that much anyway), and I have never been able to eat without putting on weight. My eldest is ten. Yikes! I know I am not old enough to have a ten year old. Somehow, I thought I would feel older...

No sleep can make you feel old, though, Patience. That much I do know!

Katherine said...

PS I am almost 38.

patience of a saint said...

Thank you Katherine, I too have a ten year old, when you say 'a 10 year old', it feels a lot older, don't you think? But we have had a while to get used to it I suppose. 38 is nothing, I am sure that you have seen a lot and done a lot in those 38 years and that is what counts. I think that as long as you don't waste your time in life there will never be any regrets xx x