Wednesday 15 August 2007

Tea and Sympathy

I may not be the most sympathetic person and that is a fact. About 2 years ago I received a call from my husband informing me that he was on his way to accident and emergency at the local hospital. After asking him why, he told me that he had cut his finger using a tile cutter. Me, being my 'positive' self asked him if hospital was really needed and would a plaster not suffice? His answer, slightly angry; NO, it would not stop bleeding. I still questioned his need for medical intervention. My mum was in the car with me at the time and she was far worried than what I was and I told her that he would be OK and I thought he was a being a bit of a drama queen. This was until I arrived home and the kitchen looked like an episode from ER, there was a trail of blood leading from the tile cutter to the sink. From the sink to the medicine cupboard there was another trail of blood and countless discarded blood soaked plasters. Then a final trail from the medicine cupboard to the front door. OK, I thought to myself maybe hospital was the best idea and I promptly phoned him on his mobile to play the doting wife. 10 stitches and 3 hours later he was home, nursing his poorly digit.

Yesterday Caitlin, oldest child stubbed her toe on one of the bunk beds in the boys room. Oh my god, anyone who have thought that she had lost her whole leg. I bit my lip and proceeded to take the frozen medical pack from the freezer (steam rice in a bag). I placed her on the sofa to investigate her injury (wiggle it, if it hurts when you touch it get slightly worried), she was still wailing but no more so when I touched it. 5 minutes had passed and wailing was still being heard so I promptly informed her that she has not lost her leg and some people in the world have actually had their legs blown off so she should get a grip. This did the trick and she limped off the sofa. Needless to say that when she showed me her toe an hour later it was not a pretty sight and it did not look like a toe as I know it. It did not look any better when Louis, third oldest child trod on it. Injury to the toe, duly noted and I became her sympathetic nurse attending to her every toe need.

Today's medical fact, apart from me not being very sympathetic is;

Our heart beats around 100,00 times every day.

Very informative indeed, I know now that every blood cell lives for 120 days, (I remembered that without looking) and that our heart beats around 100,000 times every day. Get Me.

6 comments:

The World According To Me said...

Get you indeed, my (un?)sympathetic Mrs Medicine fact file friend!

Bless Caitlin and her poorly stubbed toe. And you really didn't need Louis treading on it, did you.

I hope all is calmer in your household and all toes are in full working order once more.

patience of a saint said...

Thank you indeed. I must admit I did feel bad when I saw the state of her toe, but ho hum. All is calm at the moment but I don't think it will last for long. As far as I am aware all toes are accounted for and in full working order. LOL XXXXX

Anonymous said...

Loving the blog - and ashamed to say that I missed the kids Birthdays again, Sorry lovely, been a lot going on with moving house, and a hospital holiday xxx

patience of a saint said...

Don't worry about it, what with your holiday from hell you have had more than enough to deal with. Glad you like the blog and I appreciate you leaving a comment. Hope all is back to normal for you and look forward to seeing your new palace, LOL xxxxxxxxx

Katherine said...

LOL Oh I can relate to the "I'm DYING!" thing from the kids. The problem with them is they cry "WOLF" so many times, it's hard to tell when they really ARE serious! I mean, when you get the same reaction from hair brushing as you get from an inch-deep cut to the knee, it messes with your sympathies a bit. As moms AND wives, we end up demanding a little more proof than others, I think. : )

patience of a saint said...

katherine you are absolutely right, they cry at the drop of a hat and I think you get to know how serious the pain is with the cry. Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am getting ready to go see some areoplanes (my husband keeps moaning about me cleaning before we go, he would freak if he knew I was on the net !!!) and upon my return I will come visit you. Catch up then x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x