Friday 28 September 2007

Spaghetti arms

Hello there everyone, sorry for the delay in posting a new post but a lot has happened. Currently I am looking at secondary schools for Caitlin, which is hard work. Everyone tells you it is hard choosing the right school and even harder waiting for the results of which school you have been given. I am now finished looking and have the arduous task of selecting 6, yes 6. Not sure that there is 6 in the area let alone 6 that I would choose.

I am a governor at the Infant school which the terrible twins attend and Tuesday we had the call that we have all been waiting for, yes the one which all schools shudder at the name of; OFSTED. Even the name sounds scary. For those of you not in the know and to my understanding that is most of you except my mum the honourable roboeye, they are the school inspectors, a tad like the child catcher in Chitty chitty bang bang. They ensure that the school is; doing all that it should, that is running effectively, that it knows its strengths and weaknesses and it is doing something about them. No stone is left unturned and no-one is safe from its prying eye. Years ago inspections could take up to 5 days, 5 long hard days. One day was all we had and believe you me that was enough. OFSTED have the power to shut schools down and obviously prospective parents will be checking and double checking the OFSTED report before they choose the school. Believe you me this school lark is big business as less kids applying to the school means less money for the school. So we were all very nervous especially me as I am the chair of governors know less, and if I am doing my job properly I should be monitoring the school properly and I am held accountable for. So, I had to spend 30 long minutes 'chatting' to the nice man from OFSTED. I was actually fine as I did not stop talking. In the end I had a sore throat and he was itching to get away. Poor man did not know what he had let himself in for.

This Thursday was also the start of the Latin American dancing course that me and my friend have decide to start, it runs for only 15 weeks, that is if we last that long. After many, many phrases from Dirty Dancing, we have learnt well kind of the art of the 'cha cha cha'; get a load of us. Funny is exactly what everyone thought we were and we had to agree with them. As you can imagine the mean age of the students was 60 and when the instructor told the ladies and men to separate we found ourselves opposite two dapper gentlemen and my friend whispered, 'we pulled here'. Not sure their wives were too impressed. Needless to say we tried, and we looked like two elephants instead of seductive Latin American beauties, well there are 14 weeks left so there is definitely room for improvement.

All is good in the big brother house and I cannot believe I am saying this but there is only 2 weeks until half term. Oh my god I had better stock up on the Valium and the vodka.

Today's medical fact; An average human drinks about 16,000 gallons of water in a lifetime.

3 comments:

Katherine said...

Well my goodness....when will you know if you passed the inspection??

And what is "secondary school" over at your place? Here, that means "high school" usually grades 9-12.

patience of a saint said...

Hello Katherine, how's you?
Unofficially, we did well so that is good. Infant school is for 4 year old to 7 year olds, Junior school is for 7 to 10 year olds and then secondary school is for 10 to 16 year olds and then you can go to college and then on to University. I know that it is slightly different for you as my friend who now lives in England with her 'prince' a british man, she was from St Louis. She did explain it to me but everything I seem to be told goes in one ear and out the other.

The World According To Me said...

16,000 thousand gallons of water in a lifetime?! Think I drink that in a morning after a night on the sauce!

How is the school searching and latin american dancing lessons going? x