Tuesday 4 December 2007

Borstal


The terrible twins strike again, well one of them anyway. After picking them up from school, twin number 1, Lucas, informed me that Mrs Murray their teacher wanted to speak to me. Never a good sign. Thankfully not only is Mrs Murray their teacher but she is also a good friend of mine. She informed me that Lucas had been told off because whilst practising for their Christmas play he had disrupted the singing practice. The reception class (ages 4-5) play the main parts and year 1 which is Lucas and Caine's year are in the choir so are just singing. So the singing commences a festive 'Jingle bells' and Lucas decides not to opt for the more traditional, 'Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way' but for the modern, 'Jingle bells, batman smells, robin flew away' and as loud as his voice will go. I tried to stifle my laughter and Mrs Murray informed me that it wasn't acceptable as it wasn't fair on the reception class as it is their first Christmas play, Obviously I agreed. Things then took more of a naughty turn and Mrs Murray told me that Lucas refused to go and sit next to her and refused to apologise. Finally after much persuasion he be-grudgingly said 'sorry' and sat in front of Mrs Murray. He then pointed out that sitting next to her was ' boring' and 'not as much fun' as sitting with his friends. I tell you, I don't know where he gets his mischievousness from but it is certainly not from me. 'I just don't know what to do.' I said to Mrs Murray after she told me what he had been up to, she tried to make me feel better by saying that he had probably got out of bed the wrong side and hence why his behaviour mirrored that of Kevin the teenager. 'What happens if he ends up in borstal?' I said in desperation. She replied, ' he will not end up in Borstal he knows the difference between right and wrong. 'What if he ends up on drugs? I asked, 'Helen, he will not end up on drugs' she said. I am still not convinced as he loves to be naughty and as soon as you tell him not to do something, his eyes have a glint and he makes it his mission to do exactly what you asked him not to.No matter how many kids you have they all have such different personalities and they are their own little people not matter how old they are. One of my old friends and I mean old as in I have known her for a long time, was at Brownies and was asked not to return and my friend Barbara's twin nieces were told that 'they had got all that they could' from a toddler group as they had encouraged the entire group of children to change the song from 'pop goes the weasel' into 'this is an evil song'. So maybe there is hope or maybe this is a twin thing. Still as demanding as Lucas maybe I would not change him for the world, although I may live to regret those words.

Today's medical fact; Pain threshold of women is 9 times stronger than men.

Oh yes
Posted by patience of a saint at

3 comments:

The World According To Me said...

Nine times stronger?! Wow, no wonder God made us have the babies!

Love your facts, and your tales of the terrible twins and such. I'm sure all kids have their naughty days, and he could have been far naughtier.
I can see why you wouldn't change him for the world, or for all the tea in China.

Anonymous said...

Oh Patience - don't you worry - there's nothing wrong with those two. I was also thrown out of Brownies and not allowed into Guides for reasons which I won't share with the rest of blogland, suffice to say I'm a well adjusted human being now aren't I ?! Kids are kids - let them have their fun while they have no responsibilities, life flies by - relish the moment !!!

HH xxx

patience of a saint said...

Bless you both, its nice to hear what you think as you spend so much time worrying what is right and how they should behave that you forget that they are only little, it puts everything into perspective x xx